South Korean gets 12 years for knife attack on US ambassador

0
175
An Asia Economy Daily photo shows US ambassador to South Korea Mark Lippert covering a wound to his face after he was attacked in Seoul on March 5, 2015 (AFP Photo)
The South Korean man behind a shocking knife attack that left the US ambassador in Seoul needing 80 stitches to a deep gash on his face, was convicted of attempted murder on Friday and jailed for 12 years.
 
Prosecutors had sought a 15-year sentence for Kim Ki-Jong, 56, who lunged at Mark Lippert with a paring knife during a breakfast function in Seoul last March.
In accepting the attempted murder charge, the Seoul Central District Court cited medical reports showing Kim had come close to severing the carotid artery in Lippert\’s neck.
It also noted that the defendant had "shown no repentance, attempting to justify his actions throughout the trial".
The public attack on the envoy of South Korea\’s most important military and diplomatic ally — and dramatic TV footage of Lippert being rushed to hospital clutching his bloodied face — was shocking for a country where passionate political protest is common but acts of such extreme violence rare.
There was also a degree of shame and disquiet that a man with a record of violence against foreign envoys had been able to carry out such an assault.
 
A maverick activist who was known to police, Kim had been handed a two-year suspended sentence in 2010 for hurling a rock at the then Japanese ambassador to Seoul.
The defendant, wearing a blue prison outfit, closed his eyes but showed little emotion as the court verdict was read out.
He was then taken from the court in a wheelchair he has been using as the result of a leg injury sustained while being tackled to the ground after the assault.
It was not immediately clear if his defence team would appeal the ruling.
 
Under police questioning, Kim said Lippert had been the "symbolic" target of his opposition to annual US-South Korea military exercises.
The joint drills always trigger a surge in tensions with North Korea and Kim argued they were responsible for blocking a resumption of inter-Korean dialogue.
While admitting the assault, Kim repeatedly denied any intent to kill the ambassador, insisting that his sole aim was to bring attention to his campaign against the military exercises.
The court acquitted Kim of separate charges filed under South Korea\’s strict National Security Law that bans any act seen as aiding North Korea or promoting its ideology.
Prosecutors said they would appeal that decision.
SOURCE: AFP

Leave a reply

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close