South Korea diver dies in sunken ferry searches

0
459

A diver died after participating in the search for missing people from last month\’s ferry disaster in South Korea, officials said, the second fatality of a member of the disaster-recovery team.

The Sewol carried 476 people, most of them students from a single high school, when it sank off South Korea\’s southern coast on April 16.
Only 174 survived, including 22 of the 29 crew members. The sinking left 260 people dead, with about 40 others still missing.
On Tuesday, one civilian diver died at a hospital after becoming unconscious, government task force spokesman Ko Myung-seok said in a statement.
According to other task force team officials, the 53-year-old diver was pulled to the surface by fellow divers after losing communication, he said.
In searching for the missing, divers, helped by better weather and easing ocean current, shave been working their way into the last three unopened rooms, next to a snack bar on the ferry\’s third floor, Ko told reporters.
Ko earlier said that the search team does not expect to find many bodies in those rooms as they were not assigned to the high school students who made up most of the ferry\’s passengers.
The divers will revisit areas searched earlier, while checking other areas such as bathrooms on each floor, looking for more victims.
Darkness, floating debris and the maze of corridors and cabins onboard have made the search difficult.
Source: AP and agencies

Leave a reply

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close