Philippines ceasefire collapses as fighting continues

0
398
Philippines forces take cover during a fire fight with Muslim rebels in Zamboanga on September 12, 2013. (AFP Photo/Ted Aljibe)
Fighting intensified on Saturday in the southern Philippines between government troops and rogue Muslim separatists, shattering a ceasefire almost immediately as it was to go into effect and leaving many residents running low on supplies.
Mar Roxas, the interior secretary, said on Saturday that about 3,000 government troops had surrounded about 200 fighters from the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) and were retaking rebel-held areas and villages around Zamboanga city.
The latest fighting appeared to shatter a cease-fire agreement the nation\’s vice president, Jejomar Binay, said late Friday that he had reached with rebel leader Nur Misuari.
The army says at least 56 people have been killed in the fighting – 43 of them rebels.
The standoff began Monday when rebels with the Moro National Liberation Front, or MNLF, stormed the port city of Zamboanga, taking scores of hostages whom officials say they used as human shields.
The fighting displaced more than 60,000 people, with hundreds of homes set on fire.
On Saturday, President Benigno Aquino III told residents forced to flee the city that the government will "end this crisis as soon as possible." He said fighting will still happen from time to time but that the rebels\’ ability to inflict chaos is diminishing.
The MNLF has long pushed for greater autonomy in the mainly Muslim south, where a four-decade-long insurgency has killed at least 120,000 people.
The group signed a peace agreement with the government in 1996 that led to the creation of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao. But some of its members continued to fight, claiming Manila did not hold up its end of the deal to develop the impoverished, rural region.
Recently, MNLF founder Misuari has criticized the government\’s peace talks with a larger Muslim rebel group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front. Fearing the negotiations may marginalize his own group\’s power, Misuari last month declared part of the country\’s south to be independent of the government.
Under Misuari\’s leadership, the MNLF in 2001 carried out another attack in Zamboanga, similar to this latest one. The fighters were later allowed to leave after releasing their hostages.
Source: Agencies

Leave a reply

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close