A liquid ammonia leak from a refrigeration unit in China\’s commercial hub of Shanghai killed at least 11 people on Saturday, the official Xinhua news agency said.
Authorities say 26 people were sickened by the leak Saturday in Shanghai\’s Baoshan district at Weng\’s Cold Storage Industrial Company. Six of the injured people are said to be in critical condition.
Shanghai is considered to be more tightly regulated than other cities in China, but this marks the second accident at a food company in the city in less than a month.
On August 20, five workers at a Shanghai food company died after inhaling poisonous fumes while cleaning a vat used for making pickled vegetables, the government said.
Industrial accidents are common in China, in part due to generally lax safety and building standards.