At least five people have been killed in a new attack on Kenya\’s coast, officials said Tuesday, one week after some 60 people died in twin massacres nearby.
The attack took place overnight on a small village near the town of Witu, some 40 kilometres (25 miles) on the mainland west of the tourist island of Lamu.
"There is another attack where five people were killed," a police officer in Lamu said on condition on anonymity.
Lamu County Commissioner Stephen Ikua confirmed there had been a new "unfortunate attack", the third in the area this month, but said he could not confirm casualties.
"We have sent our officers to the ground to get more details," Ikua said.
There was no immediate claims of responsiblity.
Attacks last week on the nearby coastal Mpeketoni district left at least 60 dead and were claimed by Somalia\’s Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab insurgents, though President Uhuru Kenyatta blamed "well-planned, orchestrated and politically motivated ethnic violence" carried out by "local political networks".
Source – AFP