Egypt sentences 22 to death for attack on police
An Egyptian criminal court has sentenced 22 people to death after convicting them of storming a police station outside Cairo and killing an officer on July 3, 2013 — the day the military overthrew an elected but divisive Islamist president.
The Giza court says eight of the condemned were sentenced in absentia on charges that included murder, attempted murder, possession of unlicensed firearms, vandalism and destruction of property. The ruling can be appealed. A minor involved in the case was sentenced to 10 years.
The attack took place in Kerdasa, a restive town west of Cairo considered a militant stronghold and where gunmen and rampaging crowds have killed policemen in other acts of violence.
Egypt has been sharply criticized for issuing mass death sentences largely targeting Islamists.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP\’s earlier story is below.
Egypt\’s official news agency says a roadside bomb hit an armored vehicle in northern Sinai, killing three soldiers.
MENA says the attack was carried out by Islamic extremists early Monday near the border town of Rafah. The team in the armored vehicle was searching for explosives.
Militant attacks, mainly targeting Egyptian security forces, have spiked since the 2013 military overthrow of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi following massive protests against his rule.
Most of the largest attacks have been carried out in the northern Sinai Peninsula and claimed by a local affiliate of the Islamic State group. At least 14 people, mostly soldiers, were killed in a wave of attacks in northern Sinai last week.
SOURCE – AP