Dozens killed in massacre in eastern Congo

0
244
Children and members of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (DFLR) rebel group stand in front of weapons during an arms surrender ceremony, in Kateku, North Kivu, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, on May 30, 2014. AFP/FILE
Up to 37 people, including women and children, have been massacred in the Democratic Republic of Congo\’s eastern province of South Kivu.

The victims, who included several pregnant women, had been shot, stabbed or burned inside their homes. A Reuters cameraman on the scene counted 37 bodies, some of them lying inside a village church.
 
"It is Congolese who have carried out these attacks. It was about a dispute over cows," South Kivu governor Marcellin Cishambo told Reuters. "The problem is that everyone in this area carries a weapon."
 
He gave a lower estimate, of 27, for the number of dead.
 
South Kivu, a mountainous region rich in minerals including gold, is home to members of Bafuliru tribe who fled neighboring Burundi after the end of a civil war in 2005.
 
Some locals from the Congolese Bafuliru tribe blamed rebels from Burundi\’s National Liberation Forces (FNL) for the attacks. The Congolese government has said it plans to target foreign rebels operating in its eastern region after the defeat of the
M23 rebel group late last year.
Source – Reuters and agencies

Leave a reply

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close