British tabloid ex-editor found guilty of phone hacking

0
328
Rebekah Brooks, former News International chief executive, left, accompanied by her husband Charlie Brooks, leaves the Central Criminal Court in London, Tuesday, June 24, 2014. AP
Former News of the World editor and ex-press secretary to British Prime Minister David Cameron, Andy Coulson was found guilty of plotting to hack phones.
But Rebekah Brooks, the former boss of Murdoch\’s British newspaper arm and Coulson\’s predecessor at the News of the World, was acquitted of all charges unanimously by a jury at London\’s Old Bailey.
The conviction prompted an apology from the prime minister, who said he was wrong to hire Coulson as his media chief in 2007.
I\’m extremely sorry that I employed him, it was the wrong decision," Cameron said of Coulson, saying he was making a "full and frank" apology for hiring him.
"I asked him questions about if he knew about phone hacking and he said that he didn\’t and I accepted those assurances and I gave him the job," said Cameron.
Coulson reportedly showed no emotion as the verdict was read.
On hearing the verdict, Brooks showed little immediate emotion but was led out of the court by a nurse and later rushed through a group of photographers into a taxi.
She was followed by her husband Charlie who was also cleared of any attempt to hinder the investigation. Her former personal assistant, Cheryl Carter, was cleared of all charges as well.
Brooks\’s lawyer had argued that the prosecution failed to produce a "smoking gun" during her 14 days of intense questioning on the stand, and likened the decision of the authorities to take her to court to a medieval witch-hunt.
Murdoch closed the News of the World, a 168-year-old tabloid, in July 2011 amid a public outcry over revelations that journalists had hacked into the voicemails on the mobile phone of a murdered schoolgirl.
The scandal shocked Britain\’s political elite, with prime ministers from both main parties shown to have been close to Murdoch and his senior staff including Brooks.
Cameron ordered a public inquiry into press ethics in the immediate aftermath.
The 46-year-old Brooks was cleared of being part of a conspiracy to hack into phones to find exclusive stories, of authorising illegal payments to public officials and of trying to hinder the police investigation.
Police said there were probably more than 1,000 victims of hacking, including Queen Elizabeth\’s grandsons, Princes William and Harry, and William\’s wife Kate, and possibly as many as 5,500.
Politicians, celebrities, prominent sporting figures and even rival journalists were all targeted in a desperate attempt to find exclusive stories for Britain\’s top-selling newspaper.
Coulson, who admitted during the trial he had been aware of one hacking incident, said staff had kept the widespread criminal activity from him.
Murdoch\’s British newspaper operation said it had changed the way it did business.
"We said long ago, and repeat today, that wrongdoing occurred, and we apologised for it. We have been paying compensation to those affected and have cooperated with investigations," a News UK spokesman said.
Source –  Agencies

Leave a reply

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close