Al-Nusra Front in Lebanon claims Beirut bombing

0
352
Lebanese women cry after visiting the scene of car bomb explosion in the Haret Hreik neighbourhood of Beirut, on January 21, 2014 (AFP)
An al-Qaeda-linked group has said it carried out a suicide car-bomb attack killing at least four people in a Beirut suburb known to be a Hezbollah stronghold.
A car bomb ripped through a Shi\’ite-dominated area of Lebanon\’s capital Tuesday, killing at least four people and wounding 35. 
A Lebanese security official says a suicide bomber drove a stolen car packed with explosives into the blast site. 
A Sunni extremist group known as the Nusra Front in Lebanon claimed responsibility, saying on Twitter the attack was in retaliation for Hezbollah\’s military support of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
The blast occurred in southern Beirut, a Hezbollah stronghold. A car bomb killed five people in the same area earlier this month. 
State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf says the United States condemns the attack in the strongest terms. She says such abhorrent acts of terrorism undermine the peace and security the Lebanese people deserve.
Hezbollah fighters have openly battled in neighboring Syria since last year, helping Assad\’s forces against Sunni rebels trying to oust him.
Tensions have increased between Lebanon\’s Shi\’ite and Sunni communities as armed clashes and bombings spread into Lebanon.
Source: VOA and agencies

Leave a reply

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close